TCI - Trapp Construction International GmbH
Großer Markt 5-7
D-46483 Wesel

Telephone: 02 81 / 1 54 66 02
Telefax: 02 81 / 1 54 66 04
E-Mail: etrapp@trappco.de
Internet: www.trappco.de

TCI - Trapp Construction International GmbH

Dam, Canal and River works

Dam, Canal& River worksTrapp have been working in the fields of earthworks, canal construction and water engineering since 1872. Trapp constructs canals, ports, barrage weirs with locks, dams, hydraulic power stations, large earth­works for strip mining and work prepara­tory to land development.

In constructing earth dams abroad, millions of cubic metres of soil masses have been moved. In addition to this, natural ground sealing, core sealing made of cohesive materials and water-side bituminous sealing have been carried out.

Within the scope of "Tinajones" project in Peru a large storage facility was erected in Joint Venture near Chiclayo in Peru between 1965 and 1968. To this day this still irrigates an agricultural area of 100,000 hectares. The water from the Chancay River is conducted to the storage basin via a water intake and feed canal. This basin has a storage capacity of 300 million cubic metres. 12 million cubic metres of earth masses had to be moved for the four dams.

The water intake had to be constructed as well, comprising an intake structure with sand trapping, a passage structure in the Rio Chancay with a flood sill, feed canal with cascade structure and bottom outlet with the pertinent discharge canal. As much as 50,000 cubic metres of concrete was used here. With a rigid organisation under the overall management of the young engineer Dr.-Ing. Ernst J. Trapp the construction period was shortened by six months.

The Poza-Honda Dam in Ecuador was built to supply an entire province with drinking water. This dam was built between April 1969 and May 1971 with Trapp in Joint Venture.

One of the largest dams in the world, the Mosul Dam was built in Iraq in the eighties with Trapp partici­pation.

Construction of the Biggetal Dam in Germany was started in 1957. Almost ten years were to pass before this Euro 200 mill. project was completed. It was not only the main dam that necessitated this amount of work. A number of preliminary dams were part of this project as well as new roads, railway lines and river consolidation. Above all else, however, the local com­munities in the water-retaining area had to be re-located and new estates erected. Trapp collaborated in all these assignments on a broad basis.

The company  did considerable river consolidation work when extending the Erft. Within the scope of Mosel River consolidation the Zeltingen weir with lock and the Bernkastel port were constructed. Closer to home, Trapp built the two oil ports on the Lippe Branch Canals and an industrial port at Voerde. Not to be for­gotten either is the lock at Friedrichsfeld and further numerous large waterworks on the Rhine and its tributaries. The compa­ny was also active in Southern Germany. Two million cubic metres of earth were moved just in work on the Inn weir with locks at Feldkirchen. Some one hundred thousand cubic metres of concrete were installed here. The requisite sheet wall work was executed on a large scale by the company's own specialists.

One of the largest projects at home was started at the beginning of 1970. Seven million cubic metres of earth were moved in the Nuremberg area for part of the Main-Danube canal. In a concentration of heavy-duty, state-of-the-art earthworking machinery never seen before, daily performances of over sixty thousand cubic metres of earth and rock moving were achieved in a section only 15 kilo­metres long. These impressive achieve­ments were able to be maintained over several months, resulting in so much time being gained that the deadline for the sub­sequent concrete and sealing work was managed earlier than anticipated.

top